Saturday, March 15, 2008

THE ANTI-WORKSHOP IS DEAD. LONG LIVE THE ANTI-WORKSHOP


Yes folks, the long anticipated Anti-Workshop for wedding photographers is done, and sadly, I'm on my way back to L.A. What a terrific time!

For those of you who don't know I'm talking about, it was a workshop that breaks the "normal" rules or photographic workshops. We got to shoot, hang out, drink, eat, shoot, critique, photoshop, drink, and oh yeah, did I say "drink" already? (I know, kinda ironic cause you guys know that I don't drink, but hey, everyone else did, PLUS when we posted a photo for critique
and the instructors liked it, they gave us free drink cards to redeem at the adjacent bar!) How cool is that?

The workshop was taught by four fantastic instructors - Doug and Chenin Boutwell, and Dalisa and John Michael Cooper. These guys rocked and were some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Sadly, I missed the first full day of the workshop, but was easily enthralled by the rest of the days' schedule.

My first full day at the AW had us split in to random groups of 3-4 people to do a totally rad photo scavenger hunt using wedding couple models. I was teamed up with Toni, a super talented photog from Australia (I have to look through my stack of biz cards to find her site and
link it) and Claire, a family photog all the way from Ireland (have to look for her card as well). For three hours we had the lovely and super cool couple of Derick and Rhiannon of Digital Studios in Las Vegas as our models. These guys rocked too! They were up to any of our suggestions and antics, and it made for some incredible photos. Here's a few of my shots from the day:



This was shot for the "with flash" portion of the scavenger hunt. I have to give credit to Toni for the concept, cause it was a team effort. I got a free drink card for this, but I gave it to her for the help. I really like the off camera flash work on this photo!


Our team won a few free drink cards for this shot of Derick and Rhiann0n in a tatoo parlor we paid to shoot in! No, that's not a real tatoo, but these two were so cool that if we had asked them to do it for real, I think they would have! Sweet!


Here's our "urban" shot. The two construction workers in the back were nice enough to let us use their sign. Plus, what a trooper Rhiannon was for going along with us!


This was shot on our last day, shot at the famous Neon Boneyard (where all the old Vegas neon signs now lay in pieces)


Okay, I definitely have more photos to post from this wonderful time, but, it looks like it's almost time for me to board good 'ol Southwest Airlines back to L.A. I just want to say thank you to everyone at the workshop, to all the other fantastic photogs that attended, to the Boutwells and Coopers. You guys are all awesome, and thanks for a terrific time!


Lastly, I'd like to especially thank John and Stef, Amy D., Michelle and Todd, the gang at the DWP and everyone else for their kind thoughts and generosity over the past week. My family and I really appreciate your kindness and friendship and would like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts during this time. You guys are the best, and I am blessed to have you all in my life :)

More to come, trust me! Peace out!

No comments: